Friday, May 29, 2009

Cook: "I had to vote for the salary increase"

billcook
www.casspolitics.com

South County Commissioner Bill Cook (R) ran on a platform of "sound and responsible" government. At a candidate forum in Freeman last fall Mr. Cook made a promise that he would not accept any pay increase as a commissioner. On January 8 of this year the Commission unanimously approved a salary structure that included a 3% pay raise.

When asked about why he voted for the budget Cook said:
Yes I did vote for the budget and the salary increases were in that budget. I tried not to take the increase but there is a lot more to it than that. I can tell you what I am doing to offset the increase I saved. I take home about $39,900 after things have been taken out, with the 3% increase that is about $1,200. I am taking that out of my expense that I could be reimbursed for.

Here is historical information regarding salaries of elected officials in Cass County: (In 1999 county elected officials salaries were adjusted as a result of State Statute affecting 1st Class Counties which included Cass County.)




  • 2000---------4.00% COLA

  • 2001---------0.00%

  • 2002---------0.00%

  • 2003---------0.00%

  • 2004---------0.00%

  • 2005---------0.63 %

  • 2006---------6.56%

  • 2007---------3.30% COLA

  • 2008---------3.00% COLA

  • 2009---------3.00% COLA


Presiding County Commissioner Gary L. Mallory (D) said:
Elected Officials' salaries are determined by the Salary Commission (comprised of elected officials) per State Statute. The Salary Commission meets in the odd numbered years to establish the base line salary for elected officials for the upcoming election cycle. The last time the base salary was changed except for COLA’s was in 2005 for the election year 2006. The State Statute allows the elected officials to receive a COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) as long as it does not exceed the COLA awarded to regular county employees.

The budget includes the salaries of everyone, elected and otherwise. We accept the budget in its entirety and do not have the authority to exclude an item by “line item veto”.

While it may seem reasonable to vote for the budget and then offset the increase by taking it out of the expense account, the budget still included a 3% increase for all county employees. In these economic times giving an additional 3% to county employees may not constitute "sound and responsible" government.

No comments:

Post a Comment